Skip to main content

Post 11 - My Relationship With Technology

My Relationship With Technology Today



According to an article on Vox.com the average adult spends 3 hours and 30 minutes a day using mobile internet - and honestly, it shocked me but probably not for the reason you think. I was shocked because I feel like I am on my phone so much more than 3 and a half hours a day, in fact, I know I am. One thing Apple has implemented is that you can track your screen time to see how often you are on your phone for a day or a week. For example, my daily average last week was 5 hours, and 46 minutes a day I was on my phone. 


I have a very interesting relationship with technology, one that I allow to take up too much time at some points. Very often it feels as though my world revolves around my laptop my school work is all online, my job revolves around writing articles online, my clubs and sorority meetings all happen via zoom - at points, my day feels like it is rules by moving one location to another just to log onto my laptop and get online. 


My phone is a whole other story. I am a person who likes to stay in the know. I like to be readily available if someone needs to tell me something so I can respond to them as soon as possible. I enjoy getting lost in the rabbit hole that is TikTok and Instagram and I enjoy how easy it is to text, facetime, and call my family. 


Although, I wouldn't always say my relationship with my technology is a healthy one, because I have a serer case of FOMO, the fear of missing out, and social media nowadays only amplifies that. One second your scrolling through Instagram smiling at the cute baby picture that popped up, the next your stomach lurches as you see a group of people you are friends with hanging out without you. Without social media, you would have never known they had gotten together without you, but now suddenly you are trapped with that sinking feeling in your chest that "wow they did want me around."


Technology though is something I am immensely grateful for because it allows me to keep in close contact with my family. Being from New York, going to school in North Carolina is not an easy task when you have no family nearby. Especially this year with COVID where we had no breaks or family weekends, I went a very long period without getting to be around my mom and my sisters when all I wanted most was to hug them. I lost track of how many times I texted my mom or called her just to hear her voice for a few seconds then hanging up with a simple "Okay I have to get to class mom, I love you!"


One issue that is very present today is the fact that social media allows people to project a fake version of themselves out into the world that isn't true. Disregarding the editing apps and photoshop, the most miserable person could seem like they have the best life ever based on the types of photos they post. You have to take everything you see on social media with a grain of salt because rarely do people be 100% authentic on where - they want to showcase the best parts of themselves and their lives.


If you use the internet correctly, there is no way it can't make you smarter. With the wealth of knowledge at your fingertips, all you need to do is click a few buttons. I do my best to take advantage of the resources that are available to me and try to stay as updated on the news as possible. As arts and entertainment editor for High Point University's newspaper, I have to stay pretty up to date on pop culture which leads us to use Twitter a lot to check out what is trending. There is something so incredible about being able to see what someone across the world in another country is thinking at the same moment you are, all connected by the tiny little computer in your hand. 


There is also something no so amazing about it. Yes everyone has an opinion and everyone has a right to their own opinion, but there comes a time where a line needs to be drawn. In this day and age cancel, culture is so abundant and so toxic and it can seriously destroy a person. People make mistakes, and yes they should be held accountable - but seeing people be viciously attacked and get death threats over a tiny little mistake at times is so uncalled for and it is not how we should treat one another. 


The internet is a wonderful thing that when used correctly is a tool for good and can benefit so many people. There is also a time you need to learn to take a step back, take a break, or even sign out for a bit. I am working hard to better my social media habits and the time I spend on my electronics, but in this day and age where everything seems to be infused with technology, it is a challenge. But a challenge I cannot give up on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post 2: The Supreme Court

The Supreme Court The Courtroom of the Supreme Court In 1789, Article III of the constitution did not only grant congress the power to create federal courts but also established what would become the highest federal court in the country and the head of the judicial branch of the government, the Supreme court. President George Washington signed the Judiciary Act of 1789 which specified that six justices would serve on the court and that they would continue to serve until they either retired or died. These first six justices would be John Jay, James Wilson, John Rutledge, William Cushing, John Blair Jr, and Robert Hanson Harrison.  John Jay became the first chief justice, which is the highest judicial officer in the nation. There is a specific set of duties pertaining to the chief justice position including creating the agenda for the Supreme Court justices' meetings, chose who will write the court's opinion when the chief justice is apart of the majority opinion and presides ove

Post 8 - Innovation Of Diffusion - AirPods

 Innovation Of Diffusion - AirPods What exactly are AirPods? AirPods are Apple's wireless earbuds that have skyrocketed in popularity since their release in 2016. These earbuds became the most popular accessory sold by Apple two years after their release, and since the initial release of the AirPods Apple has come out with a  second-generation Airpods  and  Airpod Pros .  I believe the reason Airpods caught on quickly was because of how innovative and unique it was. Unlike other Bluetooth headphones at the time, Apple's AirPods were sleek and modern and came with many advancements Apple users weren't used to.  AirPods Through the Lens of Innovation Diffusion Innovators : Apple and its investors were the innovators of the AirPods. They were the ones who thought up, financed, produced, and pioneered the use and creation of the device. Early Adopters:  Airpods were announced at an Apple Special Event alongside the iPhone 7 and the Apple watch series 2 on September 7, 2016. The